Friday, December 5, 2008

Surprises

So I think a large part of successful project management is how you handle what you do not foresee. Today whilst I was finishing excavating for the new footings I uncovered a sewer line in a surprising location by the front door. I thought my house sewer line exited the house further to the east and heading off towards the northeast corner of the property. So I finished my excavation and went back to check out this surprise. The tile was old clay tile sections that looked like stuff used back in the 60's which is when the house was built. I carefully excavated it and as I approached the end close to the house footings it just ended. It turned out to be some old abandoned line for something predating our house. I just dug it all up and got it out of the way. The lesson is stay calm when surprises occur and just work through them. In construction they will always happen, success is based on how you handle them :-)

Surpise #2 was involving the drain line attached to the downspout at the garage corner of the house. I knew this was clogged somewhat because the floor scupper I put in drained slowly when it rained heavily. I needed it get this all out of the way to excavate for the footings and to track the gas line. When I pulled up the black perforated pipe up it was pretty much clogged solid for the first 15'! Even with the fabric sleeve around it tree roots had sought out the water pretty aggressively. I have it all up and out of the way now and will put in a new drain line with lots of gravel when I am done. Lesson learned, don't underestimate mother nature or she will kick your ASS! :-)

No comments: