Tuesday, November 18, 2008

No Front Porch!

Over the last couple of days I demo'd part of the actual house! To dig for the new front foundation/addition I needed to remove the front porch. I just decided to take off the whole thing; slab, roof and columns. The house looks a little naked and sad now ;-( I might try to reuse the old 4x12 beams in the remodel somewhere. Maybe new stairs treads? I like the idea of having some of the old house as part of the new and the old lumber might look nice and is far better than the new stuff. I will put them in the growing storage pile for now. Today we get another dumpster and I am renting a tractor for hauling the concrete and digging the new foundations. FYI, if you are ever digging on your property be sure to have all the utilities located before you start. "Call before you dig" is usually a free service by the utility companies. They come out within a day or so and mark where everything is. We have a gas line coming to the corner of the garage and I definitely want to know where that is! And I don't want to find it with the back hoe:-)

No comments: